5 Tips and Tricks to Keeping Your Air Conditioning Unit Healthy and Happy
Air conditioning units make it possible to live in a lot of the United States. The country has some of the most volatile weather on the planet and in some areas, the temperatures exceed 100 degrees throughout the summer months. If you live in a hot area and would like to keep your home cool and comfortable without spending a ton hiring a air conditioning repair company, there are things you can to for your system.
- Do not neglect your air filters. If you talked to the local air conditioning repair company, they would tell you that the number one thing you can do to keep you air conditioning until working well is to keep an eye on your air filters. You should clean them when needed and then replace them when they get too clogged to clean. The frequency with which you check and change your filters will depend on your usage of the unit and your lifestyle. If you have a bunch of pets, live in a dusty place or have people in your home who suffer from allergies or Asthma, you will need to do this often. It should be noted that clogged air filters can also be fire hazards in your home. It is also much, much cheaper to get a new air filter than to get a new air conditioning system.
- Pay attention to your thermostat. Many times people have their thermostat that makes their heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems work harder than they should. Your thermostat measures the temperature of the air around it and uses that to shut on or off. If you have it near a heat generating appliance (oven, hot lamp, fireplace), it will register that it needs to shut your air conditioning on. If it is near some cold producing appliance or area (freezer), it may think it is colder and put the heat on. All of this will mean that your home is not comfortable and you may need to call in the air conditioning repair company because you system burns out because it is used too much.
- Look at a new thermostat. Digital thermostats can protect your air conditioning unit. You can usually access the settings for your thermostat from your office or when you are on vacation so you can make sure it is set correctly. You can also set it up so your home is heated and cooled differently when no one is home. Many new thermostats let you set different zones in your home to keep the areas you use more comfortable. This makes it easy to use your system less and avoid needing to call the local air conditioning repair company.
- Make sure there is no debris on your air conditioning unit. Many people have their air conditioning units outside. If you are one of these people, make sure you do not have any outdoor furniture leaning on the air conditioning system. Make it a point to walk around it from time to time to get any leaves, twigs or other debris from resting on it or blocking air from going through it. Your air conditioning unit needs to have a free flow of air into it in order to work. This is another one of the top causes of problems with air conditioning units.
- Have a proper company come in and do maintenance. Most homeowners have a contract with a local air conditioning repair company to come by and check their system every year. This is a great idea because they may be able to find and fix problems when they are small and easy (read: less expensive) to deal with. Those small problems never go away on their own, they just grow into larger and more pricey problems. This is a great way to keep your air conditioning system healthy and happy. If you have a good relationship with one of these companies, if you do have an emergency, you may find it easier to get them out to your home. Often , it can be hard to get help when everyone else needs it at the same time.