When Was the Last Time That You Had to Make Any Kind of Roof Repair?
Winter weather drives many kinds of decisions when it comes to maintaining a house. From the decision to install a new roof to update the gutters, there are many times when the decisions that you make can help you have the best winer yet. Keeping a house warm in the coldest months of the year, in fact, is the main goal if you want to limit the amount of money that you need to spend on heating costs.
From metal roofs in many parts of the country to other renovations the you can make, it is important to make sure the that you are working with the top contractors and investing in the highest quality materials. Local roofing contractors offer the best option when it comes to deciding on the kinds of roofing materials that will work in the area where you live. And while metal roofs may be a great option for many property owners, it is also important to make sure that you pay careful attention to the neighborhood association covenants that may be in place.
How Old Is the Roof on Your House or Business Office?
Too often, property owners make the mistake of focusing all of their energies on the interior of a home. It should, however, to also be a priority to pay careful attention to the exterior of a property as well. A reliable roof and easy to maintain siding, for instance, can create a great street appeal while also adding to the value of a home. Metal roofs are some of the best investments that you can make, especially if you are interested in using sustainable products. Did you know, or instance, the metal roofs typically have a minimum of 25% recycled content?
Property owners have many things that they need to pay attention to, but it is important to know that there are some things that you really have to focus on. Consider some of these facts and figures about the roofing industry and the impact that these products can have on the individual value of a home, as well as the economy of the nation:
- Asphalt shingles will provide a home with a significant protection for at least 12 to 15 years for a very modest upfront cost.
- Home owners are most likely to repair roofs following weather damage; in fact, 65% of property owners said weather was their main motivation in a consumer survey.
- Although there are many differences from one state to another, in some states, like Texas, a metal roof can even lower a home owner’s insurance by as much as 35%.
- Most newer roofs are built, or are supposed to be built, to withstand snow loads of as much as 15 to 30 pounds a square foot. In some of the extreme weather events that occur, however, this limit may not be enough to avoid all damage.
- There are many kinds of new products that can help increase the effectiveness of a roof. For example, over the past thirty 30 years Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) rubber roofing membranes have stood the test of time with virtually no change in the EPDM formulation.
- Conventional roofing products, including asphalt shingles, contribute an estimated 20 billion pounds of waste to U.S. landfills a year.
- Metal roofs, in comparison, can often be installed over an existing roof, eliminating the cost and eco-impact of tear-off and disposal.
- Asphalt shingles, which were first used in 1901, have been part of the American home landscape for over a century.
When it comes time to make an addition or renovation to the outside of your home, it is important to take the time to find the most reliable contractor available as well as to invest money in the highest quality materials that you can afford. The money that you put into a roof or new sidings, in fact, can significantly add to the return on investment (ROI) that you get on your home the next time you need to take out a home equity loan or you finally make the decision to sell. Your home is an important investment so it is essential that you make wise financial decisions when making improvements.