3 Household Pest Control Tips Everyone Should Know
If your home has insects in it, it’s important to find where they are coming from and to get rid of them as soon as possible. Most insects multiply quickly, and insect control services are needed before a small number of insects turn into a huge number of them. You may wonder whether you should use home remedies as pest control. This can be helpful, but often it’s much more effective to call an exterminator to take care of the problem.
The best insect exterminator will have years of experience getting rid of the same type of bugs that you have in your home. Different insects require different ways to get rid of them. The bug control chemicals that are used for one bug won’t work for another type. When you look for a good exterminator to hire, be sure to look at their website to see if they have experience with the type of bugs you have. This can tell you how prepared they are to get rid of them quickly. An experienced exterminator will know just where to look for bugs, how to kill them, and how to make sure that they don’t come back again anytime soon.
People work hard to maintain their homes, but sooner or later you’re going to be in need of household pest control tips. Whether you’re debating termite control options or rodent control methods, dealing with pests can be an annoyance and even detrimental problem if you let it get out of hand. That’s why investing the time and money into pest control services can be worth your while.
Approximately $2 billion is spent every year in the U.S. controlling or preventing termite infestations, according to some estimates. One reasons for that is the fact that certain varieties of termite queens can lay up to 40,000 eggs per day. Termites aren’t the only problem though. Fire ants are a real household infestation problem in 14 southern states.
For those that aren’t looking to spend a great deal of money on professionals or your situation simply doesn’t warrant that level of service there are things you can do yourself that will help prevent pests. Here are a few household pest control tips every person should know that will make home maintenance a little easier.
1. Peanut Butter Over Cheese: This isn’t the cartoons anymore, it’s time to update a classic belief that mice love cheese. Sure, they probably enjoy it to a certain extent and you can absolutely catch one by using it, but there are better options. Mice actually tend to prefer foods high in protein and fat. That’s why many experts now suggest things like peanut butter, hazelnut, or even chocolate to use in place of cheese to bait your furry pest.
2. Keep Gutters Clean: This isn’t just a good tip for overall home maintenance, but an actual household pest control tips. Keeping your gutter cleans and free of debris can help prevent mosquitoes and termites from establishing homes in the enticing gunk.
3. Switch Out Old Light Bulbs: Another strategy that many might find odd is replacing light bulbs. Mercury vapor bulbs, which most older lights used, are actually more attractive to bugs than sodium vapor ones.
4. Herbs and Essential Oils: There are many natural household pest control tips too! Herbs like rosemary and basil can repel things like ants and cockroaches.
5. Clean and Maintain: Finally, the best household pest control tips you can get is to consistently keep your home clean and well-kept. This will eliminate places for them to hide and substances that they might find attractive.